Gerardo Goldberger, DO, FAOAO
Dr. Goldberger is a Board Certified Sports Medicine Orthopedic Surgeon with special interest in the care of high performing and endurance athletes, active adults, teens and children. He has developed a comprehensive and creative approach to treating athletes and individuals based on his studies in Orthopedic Surgery and Physical Education. Dr. Goldberger has pioneered the concept of integrating Sports Medicine and coaching with care for his patients who include professional triathletes and Division I collegiate swimmers and runners. He has the distinguished honor of having served as Field Physician for the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, and the 1994 Soccer World Cup in Washington, D.C.
A competitive triathlete, Dr. Goldberger has raced in 12 Ironman events in the United States and around the world. He was also honored to have represented the United States as a member of the Aquathlon World Championships in Mexico and New Zealand in 2007 and 2012, respectively. In 2009, Dr. Goldberger competed as a triathlete in the World Maccabiah Games, while providing medical care as the USA Team Physician.
Dr. Goldberger specializes in advanced minimally invasive techniques, including arthroscopic procedures of the shoulder, hip and knee, with particular attention to rotator cuff, labrum and meniscus injuries. His ultimate goal for patient care is restoration of function and maximizing performance. Dr. Goldberger’s extensive training in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, in addition to Orthopedic Surgery, provides patients with diverse non-surgical options to complement cutting edge surgical techniques.
For the past five years, Dr. Goldberger has directed a Sports Medicine and Coaching Symposium to enhance athlete performance and prevent injuries. The event attracts coaches, triathletes and endurance athletes to listen and learn from nationally recognized experts, coaches and speakers. Proceeds from the event are given to charity organizations supporting cancer research and to triathlon club sponsorships.
As a Sports Medicine Specialist, Dr. Goldberger has a wealth of experience that has evolved from his interest and participation as an athlete. His passion for excellence in medical care and positive patient outcome exceeds the standard. He loves what he does.
- Arthroscopy and Reconstruction Surgery: Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Ankle
- Joint and Cartilage Restoration Surgery
- Sports Performance Medicine & Injury Management
- Sports Medicine, including: Shoulder, Elbow, Hip, Knee, Foot/Ankle
- Triathlon, Running and Swimming Medicine
- Spine Surgery
- Adult and Pediatric Fracture and Trauma Care
- Advanced Imaging: Ultrasound and Fluoroscopic Guided Injections
Education and Training
College Education: Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ – BA
Medical Education: University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences, Iowa – DO
Internship: Grandview Hospital and Medical Center, Dayton, OH
- Orthopedic Surgery, Pinnacle Health System /Community General Hospital, Harrisburg, PA
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation / National Rehabilitation Hospital, Washington DC
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics
- American Osteopathic Association
- Monmouth County Medical Society
- New Jersey Medical Society
- New Jersey Orthopaedic Society
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
- CentraState Medical Center
- University SurgiCenter – East Brunswick
- Fellow, American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics
- Senior Board Examiner, American Osteopathic Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Vice Chairman, Department of Orthopedics, CentraState Medical Center
- Director, Annual Sports Medicine Symposium for Endurance Athletes
Dr. Gerardo Goldberger