With more than 50 million Americans (one in five adults) suffering from the chronic pain of Arthritis, May has been named National Arthritis Awareness Month. Why all the recognition? Arthritis is the number one cause of disability in our country and affects over 300,000 families. While commonly recognized, little is still understood about the illness and most do not understand the catastrophic effects Arthritis has on those who suffer and those who love them. NJ physical therapy centers report that a large percentage of their patient load is comprised of those looking to ease the physical pain of the illness while maintaining mobility. As we enter into May, let’s stop and take a look at a few facts about Arthritis.
- By 2030, up to 67 million adults are expected to be living with Arthritis.
- Arthritis is not just an illness that affects those in old age. Nearly 300,000 infants, kids, and teens suffer with a form of the disability.
- An average of 172 million workdays are missed every year by those suffering from Arthritis, and these workers are less likely to maintain regular employment than those without the disability.
- On average, the country sees one million hospitalizations a year due to Arthritis-related injuries and conditions.
- $156 billion dollars worth of lost wages are seen every year as a result of the illness.
Now that you understand more about the condition, how can you help?
There are a number of reputable organizations dedicated to helping those with Arthritic conditions. To get involved with the cause, contact the Arthritis Foundation to learn about making donations, volunteering to help with their events and signing up for their e-newsletter. If you are suffering from the pain of Arthritis yourself, call AOSMI today to speak with an orthopedic specialist about how physical therapy and pain management services can help you.