Rotator Cuff Pain Treatment From Shoulder Specialists Practicing in Freehold & Monroe Township, NJ
The rotator cuff is a group of muscles and tendons that surround and stabilize the shoulder joint, helping to keep the upper arm bone (humerus) firmly positioned in its socket. Rotator cuff pain can develop suddenly with trauma, such as a direct blow to the shoulder or a fall onto an outstretched arm. It can also develop gradually through overuse, such as the repetitive overhead motions performed in tennis and throwing sports, or age-related degeneration.
What Are the Symptoms of a Rotator Cuff Injury?
Rotator cuff pain is usually felt deep within the shoulder, sometimes disrupting sleep or making it difficult to reach backward or overhead. The pain may be accompanied by:
- Shoulder joint stiffness
- A reduced range of motion in the shoulder and arm
- Muscle weakness in the affected arm
- Swelling and tenderness at the front of the shoulder
- A cracking or popping sound (crepitus) during movement
- A catching or locking sensation in the shoulder joint
How Is Rotator Cuff Pain Treated?
Mild to moderate rotator cuff pain usually responds well to a few days of rest, activity modifications to avoid overhead motions, and ice applications. If further relief is needed, some potentially effective treatment options for a rotator cuff injury include:
- Physical therapy – Targeted stretches and exercises can enhance the flexibility of the shoulder joint and strengthen the muscles that support it.
- Injections – If rotator cuff pain disrupts sleep or interferes with everyday activities, a cortisone injection into the shoulder joint can provide temporary but long-lasting relief.
- Surgery – A surgical procedure, such as a tendon graft or shoulder joint replacement, may be suggested to address an extensive rotator cuff tear.
Where to Seek Treatment in Freehold or Monroe Township
At Advanced Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Institute, we provide a full range of conservative and surgical treatments for rotator cuff pain. When necessary, our board-certified orthopedic surgeons perform arthroscopic rotator cuff repairs as well as shoulder stabilization procedures and minimally invasive shoulder replacements. We also offer the innovative REGENETEN Bioinductive Implant.
If you’d like to explore your treatment options for rotator cuff pain with a shoulder specialist at AOSMI, contact us to schedule an appointment at our office in Freehold or Monroe Township, New Jersey, today.