Minimally Invasive Surgeries for Partial Knee Replacement
Knee pain is a common problem, affecting nearly 50 million Americans of all ages. It can occur as the result of an injury, such as a cartilage tear or ligament rupture, or it can be caused by a medical condition, such as arthritis, gout, tendinitis, or bursitis. The cause, location, and severity of the knee pain can vary, but the most common symptoms that accompany it include:
- Swelling and stiffness
- Inability to fully extend the knee
- Weakness or instability
- Crunching or popping sounds
- Redness and warmth to the touch
Some types of minor knee pain can be relieved by conservative treatments such as medications, physical therapy, bracing, massage, acupuncture, and steroid injections. Other cases, such as severe arthritis of the knee, may require surgical repair, which is where the board-certified knee surgeons at Advanced Orthopedics and Sports Medicine of New Jersey come in.
What Is a Partial Knee Replacement?
At AOSMI, our board-certified surgeons can provide those suffering from knee pain caused by arthritis with a partial knee replacement – a minimally invasive surgery that involves removing only the most damaged areas of cartilage from the knee joint while leaving any healthy parts intact. Most often, implants are placed at the end of the thigh bone and top of the shin bone through a small incision measuring between four and six inches. There are many potential benefits to this procedure, including that:
- It involves a much smaller incision than a traditional knee replacement
- The implant lifespan is similar to that of a full total knee replacement at 10 years
- There is less pain and blood loss as compared to a total knee replacement
- It can often be performed in an outpatient setting, which allows for a faster recovery and reduced risk of infection
If you would like to learn more about our minimally invasive partial knee replacement surgery, contact Advanced Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Institute today. We would be happy to schedule an appointment for you at our facility in Freehold or Monroe Township, New Jersey.