Receive Treatment for an Ankle Sprain Near Jackson, NJ
A sprain is an injury to a ligament, a strong band of tissue that connects the ends of the bones in a joint. Particularly susceptible to this type of injury is the ankle, which is made up of three bones—the fibula and tibia in the lower leg and the talus in the foot—that are linked together by ligaments. During both sports and daily activities, the risk of ankle trauma is relatively high. For instance, a sprain can result from a fall or misstep that forcefully twists the ankle outward.
If you’ve injured your ankle, it’s important to seek prompt medical attention. Come to Advanced Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Institute (AOSMI), where you can receive an accurate diagnosis and on-site imaging tests at our location near Jackson, New Jersey. Although you might think “it’s just a sprain,” only a physician can rule out a fracture, which is a more serious injury that can produce similar symptoms, including pain, swelling, bruising, and difficulty supporting weight on the injured leg. Don’t wait and hope your ankle injury will improve. If left untreated, a broken bone can have serious complications, such as chronic pain, ankle instability, and early-onset arthritis.
How Is an Ankle Sprain Treated?
After ruling out a fracture, the team at AOSMI may suggest PRICE therapy for an ankle sprain, which includes:
- Protection – An ankle brace can be worn to help keep weight off the injured ligament while it heals.
- Rest – After sustaining an ankle sprain, it’s important to rest for a few days, then gradually return to activity as comfort permits.
- Ice applications – Ice packs or cold compresses can be applied to the painful ankle as needed for up to 20 minutes at a time.
- Compression – An elastic wrap can be worn to support the damaged ligament, reduce swelling, and improve comfort.
- Elevation – While at rest, it can be beneficial to raise the injured ankle above heart level to help fluids drain away from the damaged tissues.
See a Foot & Ankle Specialist Near Jackson
If you recently rolled your ankle, you can consult with a foot and ankle specialist at Advanced Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Institute. We’re an independently owned practice that emphasizes attentive care, prompt service, and world-class treatment. Contact us today to set up a consultation at our state-of-the-art sports medicine center near Jackson, NJ.